Sunday, March 17, 2013

Celebrating American Drinking Chocolate

If you follow my occasional chocolate ramblings, you've probably discovered I really love drinking chocolate or cioccolata calda (Italian Style Drinking Chocolate).  It even rivals my quest for the "perfect chocolate cake".

Unfortunately, drinking chocolate has never really been an "in" thing when it comes to the American chocolate scene.  I blogged about my search two years ago during American Chocolate Week 2011.  While I found Almare in Berkeley to satisfy my cravings, over the last two years, other places have opened up which also serve up Italian-style drinking chocolate, or "sipping chocolate", as it is now often being called in coffee houses and artisan chocolate shops. The phenomenon of drinking chocolate is growing in America and I am excited!

In celebration of American Chocolate Week 2013 (March 17-23), I plan to share some of the places I've discovered where you can find some delicious cioccolata calda for yourself, and see why I love it so much. Each day I'll introduce you to a place around the San Francisco Bay Area where you can savor a beautiful little cup of thick, dark chocolate goodness.  Some places are better than others but you'll enjoy it no matter what.  Cacao-me has been very happy as I've made these discoveries.

While we now have some wonderful places in the San Francisco Bay Area, unfortunately we do not have the same plethora of choices as the UK.  An article in Time Out London recently featured their Top 10 places.  I can't even find 10 places in the area where hot chocolate isn't made out of a powder!  Once you check out my list, let me know if there are places in the Bay Area I've missed.

In case you've forgotten, my obsession with drinking chocolate all began in Italy in the summer of 2009 in the mountain hermitage of La Verna. (You can read the full story here.)  Up to that time, "drinking chocolate" was simply "hot cocoa," namely, a packet of instant powder and water, and often too sweet for my chocolate tastes. Brother Joe, our trip leader, said that Italian-style drinking chocolate is nothing like anything you find in America. It's actually good.

For 2 euros, I was given an espresso cup filled with thick, warmed chocolate. I gently stirred the cocoa brown potion with the demitasse spoon that was provided, and breathed in the rich, inviting chocolate aroma. It was heavenly. The chocolate itself was thick, not watery or even creamy, but instead, like a smooth melted chocolate bar or a velvety liquid pudding. Though it is hard to describe its consistency in words, as I lifted the spoon and slowly sipped, I knew I was hooked.

As you check out some of the local places I'll be featuring this week, I hope that you'll be hooked too!  Enjoy.  Happy American Chocolate Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment