Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Back Yard Coffee Company

A few months back I had a doctor's appointment at Kaiser in Redwood City.  With a little time to kill, I decided to find a coffee house near by where I could get some work done.  I love little local coffee houses and thought Back Yard Coffee at 965 Brewster Ave would be a great place to spend the afternoon.  I was planning on a mocha, but those plans quickly changed as I discovered that they served a "sipping chocolate."  Talk about a pleasant surprise!


As I ordered, I asked more questions about their "sipping chocolate," as they call it on the chalkboard menu.  I learned that they make it in an Ugolini chocolate dispenser and use Caffe d'Amore Bellagio Sipping Chocolate from a package.  Each day, they pour the pre-made mixture and milk into the machine which slowly blends and heats their drinking chocolate.  It is served in an attractive espresso cup with a little spoon, and for only $2.80, it is definitely a good price.

In terms of taste, however, it was definitely sweeter than I prefer, even sweeter than the dark chocolate drinking chocolate now served at Rue Du Thé.  I drizzled Back Yard's sipping chocolate on the peanut butter cookie I bought which helped cut the sweetness.  The chocolate lacked the bittersweet bite and the subtle fruity undertones of a good quality, higher percentage cacao.  Though it was thick, it was a little gritty.  It also had a "manufactured" taste rather than the "made from scratch" freshness of melted chocolate. This makes sense as Caffe d'Amore, according to the website, makes their sipping chocolate from cocoa powder and chocolate liqueur rather than chopped chocolate chunks. In spite being rich and decadent, this drinking chocolate tasted more like a melted hot fudge sauce than a fine drinking chocolate.  I was a little disappointed.

In spite its shortcoming, however, I still appreciated it and went back a few weeks later when I had that craving.  (I also wanted to take a picture as I wasn't expecting a chocolate find on my initial visit and didn't have my camera.)

What I appreciate most about Back Yard Coffee Company is the ambiance.  It is a beautiful, relaxing, inviting setting.  With couches, a few window counters, tables inside and outside, along with a parking lot (see left) - a plus in Redwood City which only has meters, this is a place to be inspired and spend the afternoon getting some serious work done, even though the sipping chocolate isn't the best.

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, good to know about this place, despite the not-so-good sipping chocolate. We'll have to try it out sometime when we're down that way. Also, one time we were out of cocoa powder at home, so to make Leeya some hot chocolate, I melted chocolate chips with a splash of soymilk and made a thick sludge, then thinned it out with warm soymilk until it was a good taste/consistency. Is that similar to what sipping chocolate is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jen - pretty much but without the "thinning out". it's simply chocolate and milk or water, depending on where you go. many of the places i've been reviewing have vegan options - like serendipity in san carlos which isn't too far from you.

      Delete