Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My Daily Dose of Chocolate

As Chocolate Week gets underway in the U.K., I thought I'd share how I first learned of it.

Earlier this year I stumbled upon Chocablog, a blog / e-newsletter that is dedicated to the world of chocolate.  Each day they send to my email either a review of a chocolate product, a chocolate recipe, or an in-depth chocolate feature from around the world.  Mostly, the blogs have been reviews, and mostly, they are reviews of chocolates in the U.K.  Why the U.K.?  Though there is now a worldwide team that contributes to the online content, the U.K. is where this blog team began.

I was excited when I discovered the Chocablog and have learned a lot by reading the various bloggers' comment on chocolate.  With only one reviewer from the U.S., I decided to throw my hat into the ring and offer my chocolate palate as a contributor.  But unfortunately, no one from Chocablog has contacted me about contributing to the site.  Well, at least, not yet!

Thus, it was through Chocablog that I learned of Chocolate Week in the U.K., and have begun my own week-long celebration of chocolate here in the U.S.  Having introduced you to Chocablog, I thought I'd share with you some other sources from which I get "my daily dose of chocolate".

Chocablog is only one of the online chocolate resources I regularly read.  Another one I frequently turn to is the Chocolate Cult.  The Chocolate Cult is an online blog dedicated to the exploration and ecstasy of chocolate.  Based in Indiana, the "Chocolate Priestess" (aka Tammy Jo) posts nearly everyday, and features reviews, events, news, and contests.  I actually won a bottle of organic chocolate syrup through one of her give-aways a few years back.  She began in 2009, and I joined "the cult" just a few months later.  I even have a Chocolate Cult travel mug (a birthday gift from the godkids) to prove it! 


I comment on the Chocolate Cult blog fairly often, but more so recently as she began an online review of the Bravo TV series, "Top Chef Just Desserts".   In spite not owning a TV, I admit that I continue to be a closet reality TV show junkie thanks to YouTube.  I enjoyed last year's episodes and was stoked when I learned that the Chocolate Priestess wanted to launch online discussion about it.  Though it's been mostly her and me, it's still enjoyable, even though I tend to be a week behind as I wait for the episodes to post on YouTube. 
Earlier this season they featured a Willie Wonka challenge, which was amazing, and this past week, it was entirely on chocolate!  One reason why Katzie was sent home this week was because her chocolate dessert was "too big."  One comment I made on the blog: "for me, when it comes to chocolate, the bigger the better!" to which the Chocolate Priestess replied: "Words to consider well on our Cult."  And I agree.

If blogs and online reality shows weren't enough, there is another media source for a chocolate fix -- Chocolate Television through TasteTV.  This online program, which I subscribe to through Hulu, provides short clips of product reviews and interviews with chocolatiers.  Though the segments are well done and informative, including such artistic endeavors like a chocolate fashion show, I've not spent too much time watching.

As wonderful as it is to read about chocolate and watch chocolate TV online, it simply doesn't beat the eating (or drinking) of chocolate, though there are definitely more calories in that daily habit.  More on that tomorrow.  Happy Chocolate Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment