Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A drinking chocolate collection

To say that I have "just a few" samples of drinking chocolate would probably be an understatement today. Since I've had a hard time finding a drinking chocolate at a cafe in the San Francisco Bay Area that is "perfect", my collection of "do it yourself" drinking chocolates has grown. While I have a diverse sampling, none of the powders, shavings, and chips measures up to my La Verna standard. Some have come close in flavor, but all lack the velvety thick consistency I adore. Thus, the search continues (and the collection grows).

While I now have a wide assortment of drinking chocolates, once upon a time, my collection was small. My first package of "do it yourself - just add water or milk" drinking chocolate came in the mail as a gift from a friend in the fall of 2009. My friend had heard that L.A. Burdick in New Hampshire offered an excellent drinking chocolate, and knowing of my search, sent me a gift pack.

My expectations were high as I opened up the brown paper packaging, which contained 12 oz. of chocolate shavings. For a "luxurious cup of hot chocolate," the directions were to whisk 6-8 tablespoons of shaved chocolate into 3/4 to 1 cup of scalding milk. And though I measured everything out exactly and followed the directions to a "tee", there was an out of balance taste in this hot chocolate. I added more shavings, but unfortunately, it still didn't help as the milk overpowered Burdick's 68-75% blend of chocolate.

Over the coming months, I would continue to adjust the proportions of chocolate and milk, but it never came out right. The flavor was not there for me, and the consistency was always watery, never frothy, creamy, or thick, in spite my whisking. While I appreciate the thoughtfulness of my friend in sending this "not cheap" gift, the best part of Burdick's Dark Hot Chocolate was not the chocolate, but the whisk which came with it!

The whisk has been very handy as my collection of drinking chocolates grew after my January 2010 chocolate adventure in New Zealand and Australia, and my palate for drinking chocolate refines. Through taste testing the souvenirs from my favorite chocolate cafes in the "land down under", I am getting closer to satisfying my drinking chocolate passions here at home, but it is still not "perfect".

Hands down, Silky Oaks rivals La Verna as my favorite drinking chocolate. After our tour of this local Napier chocolate company, I chose as my complementary gift the 250 gram tin of their Dark Chocolate Drinking Chocolate. At home, I was anxious to see if this "do it yourself" version measured up to the "Hot Chocolate Extreme" I enjoyed in New Zealand.

Rather than use chocolate shavings, 3 "heaped tablespoons of chocolate drops" were to be added to 180 ml (about 3/4 cup) of milk, which was to be slowly warmed, with the chocolate stirred or whisked until melted. Wanting to get this cup of chocolate right, I carefully followed the instructions. Yet as much as I whisked and warmed, the drinking chocolate at home never thickened up like the version I savored at the cafe. I was disappointed -- until I tasted it. The smooth dark 70% cocoa flavor I had enjoyed on vacation was there, though the consistency was creamy and liquidy, rather than thick and dense. (In the picture, see how the chocolate streams. This isn't something a thicker drinking chocolate would easily do after cooling for a few minutes in a cup.)

The only drinking chocolate I have in my collection, which comes close to the thick consistency I am looking for, is the "do it yourself" Azteca Hot Chocolate mix from San Churro Chocolateria in Melbourne. Though it is not as thick as the drinking chocolate in La Verna, it is not watery like most of the other drinking chocolates I've tried. But most important, I love the the balance of chilli and cinnamon with the chocolate in this Spanish-style drinking chocolate.

Into 1 cup of milk, warmed on low heat, 2 heaped scoops of the chocolate powder is stirred in until the mixture thickens. It took some patience the first few times, but I learned that after about 5 minutes of whisking on low heat, the chocolate does thicken, creating a rich drinking chocolate, similar in consistency and taste to what I remember from my time at this chocolate franchise in the Docklands of Melbourne. I am so glad that I decided to buy their largest tin (500 grams) because I do want to avoid the inevitable -- running out! Because San Churro is an Australian company, getting a refill of this drinking chocolate will not be easy. The same is true for my stash from Silky Oaks.

Thus, I am glad that I eventually found Christopher Elbow in San Francisco's Hayes Valley. When I first sampled this drinking chocolate in their store, I was impressed with how similar in taste it was to my La Verna experience in terms of its "bitter" and "sweet" balance. Very nice, as their premium dark chocolate is infused with natural vanilla bean.

Though it is definitely not thick, 1/2 cup of their Cocoa Noir can be mixed with 1 cup water for a traditional European-style (making it also vegan), or with milk for a "classical style" (though I use almond milk also making it vegan). I have found both preparations enjoyable, as the European-style with water brings out the full flavors of the chocolate, while the classic style with milk creates a creaminess. What is the best blessing however is that these 12 oz tins of drinking chocolate can be purchased locally, making it easy enough for me to replenish when the supply runs out. Gotta love that!

Along with these expensive and high quality drinking chocolates, my collection also includes less expensive, mass quantity hot chocolates like Ibarra's genuine Mexican chocolate, Endangered Species Hot Cocoa, and Trader Joes's Conacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa. While I tend to prefer the European-style and Spanish (aka spicy) style over these, I still find myself craving the thick, rich, dense drinking chocolate I had in a espresso cup at La Verna.

Thus, when a trip to Italy was planned over New Years 2011, I knew my search for the "perfect" drinking chocolate would take on new significance. What did I discover? How did I indulge? Stay tuned and you'll find out on the blog tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment