Wednesday, January 19, 2011

La Di Da so ho hum

Hanging out in Half Moon Bay this weekend, I decided to enjoy the sun while waiting to meet some friends. Next to my favorite bookstore, Ink Spell Books, which is one block down from Main Street off of Kelly, is a little local cafe called La Di Da Cafe. With the sun out, chocolate on my mind, and some time to kill before meeting friends, I decided to give this local business a try.

In the display case, they featured two chocolate delights: (1) a 3 layered double chocolate cake which looked rich, dense, and decadent, and (2) chocolate cupcakes. I asked the server if the cake was made "in-house," to which she replied, "No." When I asked about if they made the cupcakes on-site, the owner of the shop, who was just behind her, immediately responded in the affirmative. She said she makes them and that they are chocolate brownie cupcakes.

Always looking for chocolate delights made locally, I of course ordered the $2.99 cupcake as the owner herself enthusiastically placed it on a plate and said, "You will enjoy this."

I wish I could say that I did.

Topped with a homemade whipped cream and large chocolate flakes, the cupcake was dense and unfortunately a bit hard. The cream was nice and smooth, and you could tell it was homemade as it was a bit messy. Though the cupcake itself had a nice dark chocolate look, it tasted a little off. It's hard to describe.

One friend who tried it with me said it was salty. I wouldn't say it tasted salty but it was not sweet, yet also not very bittersweet nor chocolatey either. It lacked something to give it that chocolate edge and character. The texture didn't help. It was not "rock-like" but it also did not have the moistness of a cake nor the fudgeyness of a brownie. It was just hard and didn't even really crumble. Odd for a cupcake, even a brownie cupcake.

Overall assessment: 1 cacao beans (out of 5)
As much as I love homemade pastries at a local cafe, the chocolate brownie cupcake at La Di Da did not sing. I should have went with the "not made on site" chocolate cake which looked like an excellent chocolate delight. That will be for next time as I am always looking for an excuse to check out the latest selections at my favorite bookstore next door. And besides, trying the other chocolate will be another way I can support local businesses.
(review date: 2011_01-19)

No comments:

Post a Comment