Saturday, March 20, 2010

Looks can be Deceiving

To be honest, I've been a bit disappointed with the quality of chocolate desserts I've sampled around Berkeley. Nothing has been stellar. Nothing has stood out. Nothing has enticed me to return and indulge again. Nothing, that is, until Cioccolata Di Vino, a Dessert and Wine Cafe, on Shattuck near Hearst.

While most of the places I've checked out have been cafes or bakeries, Cioccolata Di Vino is a restaurant which makes their own desserts, and features Italian-influenced cuisine with a "tantalizing menu of desserts and savory small plates, complemented by our carefully selected wine list." The atmosphere is designed to "create a warm environment that will foster social interaction and communication among friends, loved ones, and neighbors over delicious food and wonderful wine." Opened late afternoon through the evening, it became the perfect place to meet up for dessert with some friends who are preparing for marriage.

Checking their menu and website before meeting up, I knew this place looked promising as I looked forward to something dense, dark, and decadent. My plan was to order "Torta al Cioccolato Liquefatto." There is something about Italian named desserts that simple ooze with indulgence, but the description of this torta as a "warm, luscious molten lava cake topped with fresh whipped cream" also helped my dessert drool to begin.

One of the other chocolate desserts I had considered was the "Torta di Cioccolato e Polenta," described as a "chocolate polenta cake with finely chopped almonds, topped with fresh whipped cream and sliced almonds." Thus, I was very relieved when my friends decided to order that along with "Tortina di Limone," a "bright and flavorful lemon tart served with lemon thyme-infused whipped cream." They also ordered a vanilla hot chocolate.

I was rather disappointed when our desserts arrived. Service was not very good, and it was confirmed when my molten lava arrived with melted cream spewing over the sides. It had been sitting for awhile before arriving at our table. It simply did not look very appealing.

I have learned however that with desserts, appearances can be deceiving. Some of the most beautiful cakes I've seen have been some of the worst cakes I've tasted. And this melted mess ended up being one of the most seductive chocolate desserts I've had since my travels in New Zealand and Australia earlier this year. (I've not yet blogged about them but you can see the pictures here on Flickr.)

Though whip cream was literally everywhere, when my spoon cut open the cake, a rich dark warm chocolate oozed out. The outer layer of the cake had a bit of crisp crunch that was a nice offset in texture to the moist bittersweet cake which lay beneath and the chocolate liquid within which seemed to keep oozing. There was a gentle chocolate bite to the cake which provided a wonderful balance to the semi-sweetened lava center. It was warm and luscious, and I savored each bite. I was sad when it was gone. If it were not for the fact that I was sitting in a nice Italian restaurant, I probably would have picked up the plate to lick it clean. This was a divine chocolate experience.

While the Torta al Cioccolato Liquefatto oozed with rich chocolate indulgence, the Torta di Cioccolato e Polenta crunched with a unique chocolate pleasure. I've never had chocolate in polenta before but it was very good. There is a quality to a corn cake, which gives it a bit of a grainy edge but that texture pairs well with the bittersweet taste of the chocolate and the crunch of the almonds. I had a small taste, but would have loved to indulge in a little more.

In fact, I would love to indulge a lot more in both the lava and polenta cakes. And while we're at it, let's throw in the "hot chocolate" which is a beautiful drinking chocolate with a dark bittersweet bite, as well as the "Tortina di Cioccolato e Mandorle," their chocolate and almond tart which we did not order. Cioccolata Di Vino is definitely a place to which I am returning. Currently it is the site for the "our thesis is done celebration" I'm having with a classmate who gave up chocolate for lent. Her plan is to finish the thesis by Easter so we can indulge. Trust me, we will.

And in case you're wondering about the "Tortina di Limone," it too was a winner in my book. Tart and tangy, the fresh lemon sang loud and strong in this number.

I have a feeling that with most any dessert on the menu, you won't be disappointed. Of course these dessert delicacies at $6.95 are a bit more expensive than the ones in the local cafes, but they are worth it. They may look like a melted mess, and the service may not be so great (it took forever to get water refilled and to finally get our check), but the experience and the depth of flavors make up for it. With good friends and good food, you really can't go wrong at Cioccolata Di Vino. Simply sit and savor the experience. Just don't be in a rush to go.

Overall assessment: 4.7 cacao beans (out of 5)
If you're looking for a good dessert, I believe this is THE place in Berkeley. For those who like their chocolate desserts full of chocolate and not other sugary fillers, their chocolate selections offer deep rich flavors and texture . Yet for a place called "Cioccolata," I would have expected more than just three chocolate desserts. In spite, this is a place you'll want to return with friends to enjoy good food and fellowship.
(review date: 2010_03-12)

1 comment:

  1. We loved being there with you, Larry. Thank goodness someone recommended it to you, or we would never have known about it!

    ReplyDelete