Friday, September 18, 2009

Sauced to near perfection

I don't like to be difficult when it comes to food, but as a vegan, it can be a challenge at times, especially during special celebrations. Like the Boy Scouts, "BE PREPARED" needs to be a vegan's motto when eating out. Preparing for my friend's wedding rehearsal dinner at Buca di Bepo in Palo Alto was no exception, as I checked their on-line menu before heading out. I knew what I could order, and knew that cacao-me would save room for dessert. Their Double Dark Chocolate Cake sounded decadently divine, and I wanted a slice.

I did not know until arriving, however, that a set meal had been pre-ordered because of the size of our party. Because no accommodations had been made for vegan-me, I was free to create a meal that suited my needs. Our server Allan was very accommodating and was able to substitute dishes to accommodate my food choices. Though it took a little time for my salad, my vegetables, and my marinara noodles to arrive, all was tasty and satisfying. But there was room for dessert.

Tiramisu was the set-menu dessert and it arrived like all things Buca, in one large family-size serving dish. Allan was apologetic when he informed me that unfortunately there were no vegan desserts he could serve me. Hmm... I really wanted chocolate. What would I do? When I asked him if I could substitute the Tiramisu for a slice of Double Dark Chocolate Cake, he reminded me that it was not vegan. He laughed when I told him that chocolate cake is my vegan exception, and proceeded to bring me a slice.

I was in awe when the large plate arrived. Three thick layers of a lightly frosted chocolate cake were swimming in a rich chocolate sauce. "Ooos" and "ahhs" could be heard from around the table. This would be good. And it was. Yet, it wasn't just good - it was excellent!

Though the top layer of frosting was a tad bit too sweet when sampled on it's own, the moist dark chocolate cake was dense and had a wonderful bittersweet bite which was highlighted by thin layers of a subtly sweet chocolate ganache. Together these components formed a wonderful chocolate trio, but what brought this fresh, house-made dessert to the next level was the specialty Sambuca sauce, or as the menu calls it "our sinful chocolate Sambuca sauce." (Sambuca is an Italian anise-flavored liqueur.) This rich dark chocolate sauce was not drizzled on the cake, but around it. This unique sauce added a whole new depth of flavor, which was intoxicating, creating a "to die for" chocolate quartet, and raising me to my feet for a standing chocolate ovation.

Overall assessment: 4.5 cacao beans (out of 5)
The Sambuca sauce is probably what makes the Double Dark Chocolate cake at Buca the BEST restaurant chocolate layered cake I've sampled thus far. Now if it were vegan, it would be just about perfect!

(review date: 2009_09-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment